Sunday, August 1, 2010

Neutrogena Eye Makeup Remover Lotion - Hydrating Review

As the title says, I'm reviewing yet another eye makeup remover. I have high expectations for my make-up removers & if they don't meet my standards, they are banished from my kingdom! Before I start the fireworks, I'll just straight out tell y'all I am not a fan of this eye makeup remover (lotions). I'm so put off by it that I'm returning it as everyone should if they are unsatisfied with a product! I likeNeutrogena but their new Eye Makeup Remover Lotion -Hydrating product bugs me to bones. So keep reading to know why!

This light, residue-free lotion gently dissolves your hard-to-remove eye makeup while conditioning your eye area.
The unique formula quickly removes makeup--even waterproof mascara--while still being gentle enough for daily use. Plus, a replenishing blend of cucumber and aloe extracts helps smooth the look of dry lines and puffiness.
Your skin will look clean and refreshed, and feel soothed and hydrated.
Instructions:
Dispense onto fingertips or onto cotton ball and gently massage over closed eyes. Can also be used on face for makeup removal. Tissue off product for maximum hydration.

So Neutrogena claims that their eye makeup remover (lotion) is gentle enough for daily use and is residue and fragrance-free.
I haven't used it for more than two days so I don't know how gentle it really is. I can however vouch that the Neutrogena Eye Makeup Remover Lotion is residue-free. The removal of the remover was easy breezy & pain free. Plus, I don't see fragrance or parfum listed as ingredients but there are big scientific words I'm unsure about.  I think the product really is fragrance fee because it smells just like my Sofcil Professional Eye Make-Up Remover which is also supposed to be fragrance free.
(I also noticed that I find unscented products tend  to smell pharmaceutical-y to me because I associate non-scented products with medicine.)
Neutrogena also claims the Eye Makeup Remover Lotion will remove waterproof mascara, smooth the look of dry lines and puffiness, soothe and hydrate your skin (I assume the area around your eyes).
This sounds more like an eye cream than an eye makeup remover doesn't it? I'm not even sure if the eye makeup remover is supposed to smooth the look of dry lines and puffiness instantly or after continuous use. I'm guessing instant use because eye creams reduce dry/fine lines and puffiness after continuous use and has long term benefits. I don't have extreme puffy eyes and normally, my eyes aren't puffy at the end of the day when I'm removing my eye makeup... I do have dry lines and this lightly hydrating eye m/u remover does smooth my dry lines just a tad unlike water based eye makeup removers that are barely hydrating. The issue is, I always double cleanse and use face wash after I remove all of my makeup so my eyes get cleansed again during the process. The hydrating benefit is great but useless in the long run (for me atleast). And it is my personal choice to use waterproof mascara but any type of eye makeup remover that claims to remove waterproof eye makeup efficiently, falls into my lap and then back to the store it goes! If you've every tried the Max Factor Volume Couture (Waterproof) Mascara, you'll know that stuff is HARD to remove. Even oil-based eye makeup removers cannot sufficiently remove the waterproof mascara. I guess I was expecting a miracle to happen when I used this eye make-up remover but I do not enjoy false claims. I've tried using just my hands to apply the lotion and a cotton pad. Neither can suffiently remove waterproof mascara but fare well with regular mascara.
I finally used a camera to show some swatches, are you happy now??


As you can tell, the left picture is just a swatch of what's on the back of my hand. There's waterproof mascara on the left & orange e/s on primer on the right with the eye m/u remover lotion on top. The picture of the left is after a minute of gentle massaging of the lotion over the mascara. Not a lot came off, can you tell? Although the swatch of the mascara is a little much, layering mascara is almost exactly the same. Heavy duty! The m/u remover got rid of the e/s easily enough but waterproof mascara? HA!
All in all, I didn't enjoy this product all too much. It is hydrating but because I haven't used it enough, my review is somewhat biased. If I had given it a full one week trial, maybe I would see benefits of smoother dry lines. I have an eye cream for that though.. The Neutrogena Eye Make-Up Remover Lotion does not follow through with what it promises and I am truly upset about that. If Wal-Mart didn't have a good return policy, I would be out of $8.50 (plus taxes) and highly disappointed.
I do not recommend this at all but if you'd like to purchase the product anyway, I bought mine from Wal-Mart for $8.50(CAD) but is originally marked as $9.xx. It's a tad expensive for a drugstore product but if you're based in the U.S., you can find the Eye Make-Up Remover Lotion - Hydrating on the Neutrogena website on sale for $5.99(USD).
Sorry for being such a negative nilly. The Neutrogena Eye Make-Up Remover Lotion gets great reviews on MakeupAlley but I had a much different experience than the avid fans. I hope I helped someone, thanks for reading!
Oh & check out
Meaghan of Glamour Momma's intriguing comparative review of this lotion and Clinique's infamous Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion!

Ingredients:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Isosterearyl Palmitate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Hexylene Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, PEG 6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Cetearyl Alcohol, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sucrose Cocoate, Proplylene glycol, Cucumis Sativa (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com