Friday, February 11, 2011

Almay One Coat Dial Up Mascara - Review

Warning:
This review is brought to you by yet another crappy product that I absolutely abhor. I can't include photos of the products in action because my "eye shots" are more like "what the h*ll is that?" shots. You can atleast feel free to call me Negative Nelly! Don't worry, these angry reviews won't last long as this is just a phase. I will review usable products in the future!

The new mascara trend is dial up mascaras which have two-to-three different dials. Usually, the first dial (or level, if you prefer) delivers a natural lash look and the following two dials create volume and drama. Since Rimmel tests on animals, I'm not allowed to try the Rimmel 1-2-3 Looks Mascara. MAC also makes a two(?) dial mascara but who wants to pay $15+ for eye make-up that lasts no more than three months?
Luckily, Revlon and Almay has their own dial up mascara but there is no word on whether or not they test on animals. It's odd how Revlon and Almay come off as animal-friendly brands but I rarely see the cute bunny sign on their packaging...Annnnywho, Almay mascaras costs no more than $10. Infact, I paid $6.49CAD (not including taxes) for my Almay One Coat Dial Up mascara and includes a BONUS eyeliner. But more talk about the products later and real information, now.

Let's see what Almay has to say:



Adjustable dial allows you to take your lashes from full to fuller to fullest, providing the customized look you want in just one coat. Molded brush separates and defines every lash while quick building volumizing formula applies evenly and easily.

Clump free.
Hypoallergenic. Ophthalmologist tested.

Brands that fall short of their claims... *sigh*Wait! Let me brighten this review up by first listing the +positive+ aspects of the mascara.
The Almay wand reminds me of the Maybelline Define-A-Lash wand but this one has many smaller, thinner bristles. Doesn't poke the eyes and catches the lashes well but can get clumpy if there is too much mascara on the wand and in between bristles. Best to roll the wand on tissue to remove excess mascara!
I chose Blackest Black on accident but it is indeed the blackest black. I'd say it's on par with eyeliner black. You know what I'm talking about right? Dark and dramatic - hardcore black. That's all the good I have to say about this mascara. Time for the beat down!
I'll ease in with the basics: The mascara flakes and smudges quickly. Definitely not waterproof but the mascara doesn't claim to be.
The Almay One Coat Dial Up mascara sports three different dials. The first dial is "full" - I assume it means "full" lash look and the second is "fuller". This brings us the last dial. Can you guess what it is? Was your guess, "fullest"? Bingo.
The dials are useless and even more useless now since the dial broke. I can twist the dial but it won't turn to 1, 2, or 3 and stop to click - it'll just keep turning in circles.
I saw no full to fuller to fullest volume during each dial before the dial broke anyhow. I didn't see any volume or fullness whatsoever. I'd say the mascara is more of a lengthening mascara. Length is useful but not for a mascara that promises fullness, right?
From first coat, I see bittyness. Bittyness is not clumping; it is bits or balls of mascara that catch onto the middle of the lashes and stay there. Combing the bits out is harder than separating clumps, seriously. The mascara would work if the bits attached onto the roots of my lashes - creating the illusion of fullness.

Not a good mascara, not recommendable, not worth the money. That's all there was to it really. Sorry for the disappointing read but hopefully something great inspires a decent review.

Until next time,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com