Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

During the Spring and Summer, I prefer lighter coverage makeup such as tinted moisturizer or mineral powder.
Since Spring has finally sprung into action, I must do so as well! Last week when ruffling
 through my tinted moisturizer collection, I was unable to find a suitable shade for Spring. This comes as no surprise as I purchased all of my tinted moisturizers during the Summer. With no suitable shade in hand, I hurried to Sears to pick up the Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 - a new addition to Clinique's Moisture Surge line - which I'm reviewing today.

As always, I'll begin with the brand's blurb:
"Allergy Tested. 100% Fragrance Free.
Sheer, hydrating coverage. Natural finish.


Smooth on an instant moisture boost with SPF protection and a hint of skin-perfecting colour. Refreshingly lightweight formula provides a no-makeup look and feel, yet covers imperfections with a natural, hydrating touch. Long-wearing. Oil-free. "


With only six shades to choose from and most of them leaning on the darker side, I am lucky Shade 02 matches me perfectly. Here is a comparative swatch:


Top 2 Photos:
Left: Clinique Even Better Makeup in 03 Ivory - swatched 2x
Right: Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer in Shade 02 - swatched; blended.
Bottom:
Left: Clinique Even Better Make in 03 Ivory - blended, Right: Moisture Surge Tinted Moisture - blended.
 
As promised, Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer is fragrance-free and feels lightweight. The thin formula absorbs into my skin quickly but there is adequate time to blend for a streak-free finish. While the coverage is sheer, I find my complexion looks less dull and uneven. My blotchy-red cheeks are evenly pink but scars and dark spots are still visible. In other words, major imperfections are covered to a small extent. Typically, I am required to blot my t-zone at 3 hours but Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer lasts about 5 hours before it completely disappears all-over.

For 30ml of product at $30CAD/$24.50USD, this tinted moisturizer isn't ridiculously priced. Most tinted moisturizers cost within the $25-$40 range. However, I benefit more from a foundation which costs about the same. I also prefer higher SPF as anything below 30 is insufficient in protecting the skin from the sun's harmful UV rays.Luckily, Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer wins over my heart with it's hygienic design. The moisturizer is housed in durable plastic bottle with a twist cap and is squeezed out through a spout. I'd appreciate a flippable lid but I'm glad I'm not digging my fingers into a pot.

Bottom Line:
I do recommend this tinted moisturized. It hasn't broken me out and it does much of what it claims to do. While the Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer seems expensive, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Also, I can easily counteract the low SPF issue by prepping my skin with a sunscreen as I'm sure to do during the summer. The packaging gets two thumbs up aswell!

Hope this review was helpful and thanks for reading


xoxo,
Ashley.

7 comments:

Jamie Dorman said...

AAAH I love this TM! IT looks so beautiful on the skin! Unfortunately it has methol in it, which can irritate the skin. But oh it's so beautiful!

Justine (Productrater) said...

I got this too over the weekend, in the lightest shade, it's a tad too dark for me but it works. I love the concept of it. I didn't find it all that moisturizing but it didn't irritate my dry skin either so it was okay. Thanks for the review, I will be putting mine up soon too! :)

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said...

Hahaha-I just got this over the weekend too but haven't tested it out yet.
Great review Ashley!

Ashley said...

PCS,
Yeah the ingredients aren't the best but it also hasn't irritated me in anyway so I'm quite surprised!

Justine,
This wouldn't have been moisturizing enough (alone) during the winter for me but it's doing an ok job since it's Spring now. I actually sweat a bit when I'm walking in direct sunlight!

Tracy,
Thanks, and tell me how you like it! I'm sure a lot of Moisture Surge gel-cream fans will be surprised at the texture of this tinted moisturizer. They're nothing alike!

Rae // theNotice said...

Oh, you are WONDERFUL! I was going to do a bunch of swatch comparisons for this (once I, erm, get around to reviewing it), but perhaps I'll just link to yours instead :o)

cocoabee said...

in new york you could always take the subway though!

in the swatches it looks really pinkish, i guess that might give you a sort of "healthy flush" glow?

Ashley said...

Rae,
I have no reason to punish you and force you to do a comparison swatch as well but if I had that power, I so would!

cocoabee,
I don't really see a "healthy flush" since, I'm always red but the TM is quite good and giving me a even, brighter complexion.

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com