Monday, September 12, 2011

Comparative Review: Maybelline Eyestudio Creamy Gel Eyeliner (Japan) versus Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (USA)

Which came first - Maybelline Eyestudio Creamy Gel Eyeliner from Japan or Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner from the U.S.?
Don't ask me because I don't remember! What I am capable of is comparing the two eyeliners to see if they're one in the same but packaged and produced in different countries!

I have to thank Adeline for providing the NO. 1 Eyeliner in Japan and myself for providing the U.S. version for this review. I made an oath earlier this year to discontinue purchasing cosmetic brands that test on animals but I purchased the U.S. version way before. I never opened it either which makes this comparison possible! Never thought I'd be thanking my old hoarding tendencies... but I am this time.


SAM_1712

What I loved about the Maybelline Lasting Drama Eyestudio Gel Eyeliner way back when it first debuted is the brush it comes with. I loved it so much but lost two of them and eventually I was left with one that I never used in fear I'd lose it too. I'm happy to report that the brushes are the same. The brush hairs are different in color and the tiny glass jars also have different finishes. The Japanese version comes housed in frosted glass with a metal bottle cap while the U.S. version comes housed in a clear glass pot with a black plastic bottle cap.

SAM_1723_1 look

The ingredients (listed at the end of the post) aren't the same but they don't stray far from each other. The Japanese version contains trimethyloxysilicate, talc, BHT, aloe barbadenis extracts which the U.S. version lacks. Although, the U.S. version has it's on private party of ingredients too but it's a little harder to type and sound out.

The difference in ingredients can explain the difference in shades. Both are brown but the U.S. version is a basic, chocolate-brown whereas the Japanese version is richer and contains very fine shimmer. I definitely prefer the Japanese version based on color but they're twins in terms of texture; creamy and super dreamy.

SAM_1738_1 Maybelline
Left: U.S. Brown
Right: Japan Brown

It's important to set these creamy liners with a similar eyeshadow or translucent powder or they will smudge, especially for tapered eyelids. A primer definitely helps the liners last long on the lids but it's at 6 hours that I'll notice fading.
In any case, the liners are waterproof but not rub-proof. Soap & water won't suffice but cleansing water will remove all traces of the liner.

Bottom Line:
The Maybelline Eyestudio Creamy Gel Eyeliner from Japan & America are practically the same. If you're in the market for a creamy gel eyeliner, this one is the one to look out for and the U.S. version is available at nearly every drugstore. The Japan version can be purchased online (Sasa, eBay, etc). As for lasting power (fading, smudging, creasing), I have found better.

What's your favorite gel eyeliner?

Ingredients

U.S.:
SAM_1719

Japan:
SAM_1716

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com